About Me

My photo
London, Leicester and Kerala
I am a Medical Doctor, born and brought up in Kerala, settled in England for last 27 years. Interested in almost any and every field under the sun. I believe in 'Simple living and simple thinking'and try to follow this principle in life...This is a snapshot of what I wish to write; but many of the things I want to write are still under the iceberg! Lokah Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu

Visits so far

Monday 14 July 2008

My first blog

I was never a good writer, I don't think still I am one....I read a lot of articles everyday (other than my routine pub-med search). Some of them are very good....I always wonder how can someone write so well. How can they reflect what's in their mind so beautifully. Is it a talent or experience or hard work or a combination of all of these virtues.
I had been thinking about writing something for a long time. I used to write my diary as a child, since 12 years of age. I think I still have some of my diaries back home in Trivandrum
I think I will start with what happened in my previous 24 hours.

After my Sunday morning tea and checking my mails, I thought of making Pathiri( ie Kozhikodan style , v.thin and smooth; unlike the Trivandrum Oratti, which is quite thick) Mixed hot water and rice flour as per instructions from a friend and started to roll the mixed dough into shape...Good lord, it was breaking in between and felt something was missing.....So had to change the idea of pathiri into Idiappam...that came out very well. Also made some Kozhukatta ( the one with jaggery and coconut mix inside) with the remaining dough. To be frank all this came out very well, including a nice potato curry with coconut milk. I think if you make any thing with coconut milk it will come out fine, even in the hands of a person who cannot boil water. I realised how lucky these so called eminent 'cooks' are in kerala, who always add coconut in to anything and everything they make, like the 'Thais'...

Afternoon watched a nice movie about Koodiyattam. Great movie......The dance form, more than 2000 years old is said to be much more classical and elegant, in form and content, than Kathakali. Nice roles played by Nedumudi and Jagathy, as usual. The lead female is herself the doyenne of Koodiyattom. The best was saved till the last scene. The climax depicted Nedumudi enacting Bali’s (one of my favourite characters in Ramayana) death in the story Balivadham. I initially thought the lead person is going to do the same like a lot of other climax scenes when the actor dies playing a character. But the anticlimax was the twinkle in Venus eyes when he come of out of 'death' . It was simply superb.....

In the evening made kozhukatta ('pidi' as is called in Thrissur and Ambalakozhukatta in Padmanabhapuram it seems). Vava likes brown kozhukatta, so added Jaggery into it.

Evening watched "Panchavadipalam"...A classic movie...V. Nostalgic...How KG George named his characters...Dushasanna kurup, Iravathykuzhi panchayat, Mandodhari, Jeemoothavahanan, Bhiman pillai, isahaq tharakan, yudas etc etc. The film seemed v. contemporary especially if we think that the central govt in India is facing a very similar (no) confidence motion. Poly-tricks are all the same, even it's a panchayat or State/ central/federal govt anywhere in the world. This will happen again and again and again...

Last night, also heard a prabhashanam by Amma in Amrita Television. As usual she was using very simple language and stories to convey her message. I was attracted to a very simple message she said and felt it to be so true. For anything to happen we need 3 things
1. Time or 'Kalam'
2. Effort or 'Prayatnam'
3. Gods Grace or 'Daivanugraham'

V. true indeed.
I think it is 33%, 33% and 34%.....

2 comments:

Chandran Nair said...

Wecome to the world of blogging. I am happy to see that you are putting your thoughts on Paper! BTW - it looks like you cook really well
Cheers

mannadiar said...

Better late han never, right?
Sure than your experience would serve as inputs for some, if not all. Cool going, and get them coming:-)