About Me

My photo
London, Leicester and Kerala
I am a Medical Doctor, born and brought up in Kerala, settled in England for last 27 years. Interested in almost any and every field under the sun. I believe in 'Simple living and simple thinking'and try to follow this principle in life...This is a snapshot of what I wish to write; but many of the things I want to write are still under the iceberg! Lokah Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu

Visits so far

Thursday 17 July 2008

Back Benchers

The seating arrangements at school came to mind today as Chandran asked me a clarification on who were the backbenchers at our school.

I was always a backbencher all through my school days. Girls and boys (if in the same class), used to sit in different rows. Interestingly another friend told me recently that still girls and boys sit separately in schools even in primary classes. In one instance when a teacher tried to take the 'bold step' of making boys and girls seated adjacently, there was a 'big hoohah' and it seems some parents even complained to revert back to 'normal'....

Things are different in college and universities. You are free to sit at any place that is available.

A back-bencher, according to the dictionary, is a member of parliament(MP)or a legislator who does not hold a government office and is not a front bench spokesperson in the Opposition. A backbencher may be a new parliamentary member yet to receive high office, a senior figure dropped from government, or someone who for whatever reason is not chosen to sit either in the ministry or the opposition.

At school, in grade 10, Mahesh, Chandran, Renji and I were the backbenchers. Interestingly all of us are settled outside India, in four corners of the world. Mahesh is in US, I am in UK, Renji is in Dubai and Chandran is in Singapore...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Look here for photos and more information about Aranmula Kannadi