About Me

My photo
London, Leicester and Kerala
I am a Medical Doctor, born and brought up in Kerala, settled in England for last 27 years. Interested in almost any and every field under the sun. I believe in 'Simple living and simple thinking'and try to follow this principle in life...This is a snapshot of what I wish to write; but many of the things I want to write are still under the iceberg! Lokah Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu

Visits so far

Monday 22 December 2008

Kolorful Kerala

This time when I visited Kerala, I noticed something peculiar and distinct. Most of the houses were painted in bright florescent colours. This is quite a marked difference from the Kerala I know. Usually homes in Kerala have white/light colour with the background provided by the natural beauty of coconut palms and lush green paddy fields and trees. In fact the term we use for painting a house used to be white-wash or വെള്ള or കുമ്മായം അടി .

I noted these florescent coloured homes through out the whole length of Kerala from Kannur to Trivandrum (yes, on my spiritual marathon!). This included almost all the buildings including average sized homes, big mansions, hotels and even some official buildings.

When I asked Karunakaran Uncle the reason for this he said that there was a popular advertisement recently in television (Idiot-box) which 'clicked' and that most people just started following this....

A phenomenal change from 'Gods own country' to 'Box own country'....




3 comments:

mannadiar said...

the darker side of this colourful edifice is that, people invest a lot on their houses, a majority unable to repay the loans later on, turn to alchoholism if not suicides.

vella adiyil ninnum vellam adi, athum highest percapita adi in india, anganeyum malayali mariyittu kurachu naalayi. colourful vaalukal galore:-)

PCV said...

You are right:-)

mash said...

one of the reasons for this colour mania is the accumulation of wealth and power in the wrong hands who can afford to believe in all kinds of gimmicks like Vasthu and Fenshui, promoted by all media. ബുദ്ധിമാന്മാര്‍ പണമുണ്ടാക്കുകയാണെന്നു ഇവര്‍ അറിയുന്നില്ല